This position is supported by and coordinates closely with maintenance, grounds, housekeeping, and campus safety teams to ensure that university buildings, mechanical systems, and grounds are well maintained, aesthetically pleasing, clean, functional and safe for employees, students, and guests.
The director leads an exceptionally talented team of skilled trades people and managers. This diverse group of individuals is passionate about providing the highest levels of quality craftsmanship, customer service, and teamwork through sustainable practices and takes pride in supporting the mission of the university through serving as stewards of the university.
Under the direct report and general supervision of the Vice President for Finance and Administration, the individual: directs the planning and administration of all physical plant activities; manages the maintenance, repair, construction, and renovation of facilities in order to provide an environment which is aesthetically pleasing and conducive to the learning process and which enhances the teaching, research, and public service functions of the university; manages grounds and maintenance staff and all of the utilities systems; and is responsible for the overall management of environmental control systems.
The director works with various departments to ensure the university is in compliance with all regulatory issues related to the storage of hazardous materials; provides leadership on all matters concerning university infrastructure and related services; advises administration on all relevant policies and procedures related to the management of the physical resources of the university, and ensures compliance with all applicable federal, state, local, and university policies and procedures.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develops long and short range maintenance plans/programs (e.g. emergency response plans, energy management plans, annual budget, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring that university resources are effectively utilized.
- Directs projects (e.g. site repairs/construction, preventive maintenance, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring completion within established time frames, project design, and budget.
- Inspects new construction, repair work, projects, equipment, work orders, daily maintenance, and supplies for the purpose of ensuring that jobs are completed efficiently, ensures specifications for major capital improvements are within local/state/federal regulations, and approves inspection reports and payment requests.
- Supervises and coordinates the work of all assigned personnel in maintenance and grounds, plans and assigns work and work schedules, and conducts performance evaluations.
- Develops and facilitates appropriate programs of maintenance and repair for all university sites to include buildings, HVAC systems, water systems, waste water systems, contracted services, and state and local coding pertaining to each individual site.
- Develops, implements, and maintains appropriate programs of service for utilities and utility service systems throughout the university including electric, water, wastewater, and fossil fuels.
- Maintains and updates the university's master facility plan annually.
- Keeps abreast of all applicable safety regulations and building codes.
- Serves as project manager and works with appropriate university officials and outside resources to plan and develop new building construction, renovations, or modifications.
- Oversees new construction and campus improvement projects, including planning, development of bid specs, monitoring construction work acceptance, etc.
- Prepares sketches, cost estimates, and descriptions for in-house repair or renovation projects and reads/interprets blueprints, engineering/architectural drawings, and schematics.
- Oversees third-party vendors and approves payment and requisitions for supplies and equipment.
- Develops and maintains the facilities Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) for related departments.
- Responsible for developing a maintenance program for the university, including the reporting of deferred maintenance costs as well as estimating costs for long-range repairs and replacements.
- Responsible for the compilation of data on various contractors, delayed maintenance costs, etc. to support adequate planning.
- Develops benchmarking criteria and collects performance data to monitor success and risk conditions associated with all maintenance programs and work orders.
- Recommends and participates in the development of university policies and procedures related to the area.
- Leads by example and shares daily responsibilities with staff to execute solutions.
- Carries out special projects as may be assigned.
- Minimum seven years of leadership experience in a large organizational operation.
- More than seven years of experience managing multiple departments/activities in planning, programming, construction, and maintenance of facilities.
- Seven years of experience managing or working with the operation of HVAC, plumbing, industrial, or commercial mechanical and electrical systems.
- Minimum of seven years of experience in a management role in property, facilities, project, or risk management.
- Working knowledge of at least three relevant trades (mechanical, electrical, and plumbing).
- Seven years of experience working in municipal, hospital, or higher education preferred.
- Possess a wide degree of creativity and range of technical knowledge of all aspects of plant structures, maintenance, and repair.
- Excellent communication skills.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Experience and comfort with giving presentations to large groups of people and to senior management.
- Excellent and effective written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Computer experience with work order systems such as Schooldude, MS Project, or other project tools
- Experience with Microsoft Office suite and high functioning abilities with Excel.
- Strong leadership, critical thinking, and problem solving skills.
- Must possess a high level of the following work skills and behaviors: teamwork/cooperation, initiative, customer service, and commitment to continuous professional growth in skills and knowledge.
- Willing to work with staff on daily tasks.
- Bachelor's Degree in engineering, administration, or related field.
- A minimum of seven (7) years of facilities management experience in a public or private setting.
- Demonstrated communication and presentation skills, both oral and written.
- Demonstrated experience with preparing and overseeing a large annual operating budget.
- 5 years supervisory experience
- Master's Degree in an engineering or other technical discipline, business administration, operations management, or related disciplines.
- Experience managing a multi-level service operation with a variety of subordinate employees with a broad range of knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Demonstrated ability to approach and solve complex problems, handle multiple issues daily, and maintain good judgment during stressful situations.
- Demonstrated ability to use computer applications.
- Demonstrated relationship management experience with senior leadership.
The applicant should desire to seek opportunities to gain experience working and collaborating in diverse, multicultural, and inclusive settings, have a willingness to change for continual improvement, contribute to a culture of environmental stewardship, practice resource conservation, and actively work toward achieving long-term sustainability goals.
- May be required to work evenings and/or weekends
- Work will be performed indoors and/or outdoors; exposure to inclement weather conditions is possible
- Occasional travel to attend conferences, meetings, trainings, etc.
The Director of Facility Services is responsible for supporting student success by maintaining and continually improving Augustana University’s 100-acre campus in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. There are approximately one million square feet of university controlled facilities including office, housing, classroom, conferencing, and retail spaces.
Interacting with students, faculty, and leadership with different backgrounds and points of view and a deep appreciation of and respect for academic values and culture must be a top value of the candidate.
Send application letter indicating why you are interested in this position, a current resume, a completed Augustana University employment application, the names, addresses and telephone numbers of three persons qualified to provide a reference. Valuing diversity and inclusivity are important aspects of the culture and ethos of Augustana University. Please share how you envision embracing and advancing these ideals. Please submit your application package electronically to:
Location/Region: Sioux Falls